The World Is My Playground

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Technology

Last weekend I came home at 3 in the morning to find I had no power. As it was Saturday, I was powerless until Monday. This led to my conclusion that I have unimpressively become addicted to watching television. Then to my horror, after I was re-ignited with power on Monday my computer didn't work. I come home and the first thing I do is check email; I didn't even realize what a reflex response this has become until it wasn't there. I felt really ashamed. Since I am leaving in exactly 5 weeks now, I considered not replacing the computer that was given to me anyway. I was pretty set on it actually, feeling I deserved to be computerless for becoming so co-dependant on evil technology. The whole experience led to some comtemplation on my time spent on Pollap where there was neither electricity nor running water. I had to marvel at the recollection that, after a few days, I was used to it and my daily routine just didn't include anything requiring electricity. People are so adaptive, it's amazing really. And I spent my first 8 months here without a computer in my home; and it was fine, never even thought about it. I also went without a tv once for a year; and would have went longer had a friend not bought one for me. So, as I was comtemplating all these things and trying to decide whether or not to fix my computer someone asked me if I enjoyed having a computer at home... and well, yes I do. So I figured, you know, I'm a pretty social person... I don't hole up at home on weekends with my computer and tv. And I have clean clothes, clean dishes, and food in my refrigerator. So maybe the addiction isn't THAT bad. As far as I know, none of my friends are planning an intervention. So I decided not to punish myself these last weeks and fix it. Afterall, in 5 weeks I will be sharing a computer with my mother, who works online, and my brother, who I believe is more of an addict than I am :) Lucky for all you peeps out there who can now read my impressive writing (impressive considering I am watching Flintstones as I write). Oh, and the computer? The hard drive was wiped... it cost $30 and the lovely technician changed everything to English for me :) Bonus!!

2 Comments:

At 10:06 PM, Blogger Valerie Perez said...

Evil Technology, indeed. Remember it is that technology that will fly you home in a few weeks and it is the same that allows you to share your impressive thoughts with your friends. Glad you came to your senses. However, think about watching shows about cartoon cavemen while blogging. hummm? Technology is a terrible thing to waste.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger linda said...

That's awesome! And I love Valerie's comment about watching shows about cartoon cavemen. So profound. Anyway, I'm glad you fixed it because you have to carry on the tradition and pass it on to another English teacher when you leave. If there are any who don't have laptops. Damn technology addicts! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home