The World Is My Playground

Friday, April 13, 2007

From Myspace Blog

Thursday, April 12, 2007
Changes
Current mood: restless Category: Travel and Places
We up and decided to leave Louisana. We worked for the duration of Kentwood's cleaning project and gave the temp agency 2 days and they came up with nothing. So I did some very uncharacteristic sweet talking and got money back from the campground and we packed up and left. It had been rainy our days off, so we spent a lot of time sitting in the car. It had become rather miserable and I am not real sure what the hell we were thinking. We decided it was all Crappy's fault, Jo's friend who was in the fair at Hammond when we originally got there. We went there to see her, got to know the town and said what the heck and just stayed. When we should have ventured out more and searched for other options. Anyway, the minute we decided to go I could feel tension and miserableness leave us both. It was a good decision. Before we left we went exploring the French Quarter in New Orleans and also drove through some of the wreckage from Katrina. It's quite amazing the mess that is still there. I know I went on about this in one of my blogs already, but truly, I can't believe it is still so bad...
Anyway, now we are in Texas. Dallas. Staying with a friend of Jo's. We aren't staying long as I have made plans to visit my pal from high school in Sedona Arizona on Monday. I am really excited to see him and we are both excited to cross New Mexico and Arizona. Today we bummed around and drove through Dallas after nightfall... and wow. The skyline is incredible. I was in awe. I have always loved Chicago's skyline and all I could think was "way cooler than Chicago". All the buildings were outlined in Christmas lights in different ways. One was completely outlined in green, another had blue criss-crossing the building, one had a ball of clear lights on its roof... it was really something.
Enough for now. I need to hit the sheets so we can leave again tomorrow... decidedly, my favorite thing on this trip is leaving :)
11:52 PM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove
Saturday, April 07, 2007
Work and Weekend Fishing
Current mood: contemplative Category: Travel and Places
I think Jo is going to blog again soon, that's ok, I am going to also. We worked Tuesday, Thursday and Friday at Kentwood Springs Bottled Water plant. We both kind of hate it and both wish we could work on the line or else zip around on the dozen forklifts they have in the warehouse. Friday wasn't so bad though; I didn't do a lick of cleaning but instead made airplane boxes all day. Everything is automated at this plant; it is an amazing process to observe. Cardboard boxes are loaded into a machine and made up automatically. Bottles and caps are also hand loaded. I am not sure where the water comes from, but I do know bottles are filled automatically. Palletization is also automated and forklift drivers must take the pallets as fast as they are produced. It's cool. The people there seem to like us and talk to us a lot. The warehouse guy was telling me that people have changed since Katrina; he says they don't care as much and aren't as friendly. I noticed that while people here are very friendly, they seem preoccupied and not real interested in outsiders. The woman at our campsite told me this state is crooked and all the fema money didn't go to help the people so people are distrustful (sounds like Chuuk!). She doesn't know where it went. I don't know, this is just what she says, so who knows. My only opinion is the above one; ppl are friendly, just rather absent when conversation gets too personal or deep. Maybe I will develop an opinion as to why this is at some point.
So we were/are happy for the weekend; except its FREEZING. Tonight's low is supposed to be 37; makes camping FUN. Today we bought a one day fishing license, donned hats and scarves and went and sat in 58 degree fishing weather. I have to laugh at us in our hats and scarves when I know that 58 at home would bring out the shorts. We are weatherized down here already. We did catch some fish though, but not enough to cook so we threw them back. It was fun though and we are learning a lot about fishing down here. Crickets are big for bait.. but we seem not to be able to get into using them. We bought a bag and drove around with them on the dash. When we went fast they went crazy hopping against the bag. I just sat there, staring at this bag of 25 crickets while Jody laughed. Then when we slowed down they started to sing and stopped jumping around. It was weird. I was like, "ok, our new pets". We ended up trying one and letting the rest go. "Free Jimminy". Whatever. We met a cute puppy today too named like Star Dancer or something. I can't remember... Star something. It was just a pup and so frisky; it was fun. I miss mom's cats :( Off to watch a movie and snuggle in to my sleeping bag. Happy Easter tomorrow ya'all :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home