The World Is My Playground

Monday, May 07, 2007

warrior princesses and maybe part 2

I just got a blog post about xena the warrior princess. She is a theme in my life; despite the fact I have never been all that impressed with her. I have always been more of a wonder woman girl. But me and my completely seemingly confortable with his sexuality friend Chris and I sometimes wore candy necklaces on our heads and claimed to be warrior princesses. So did my oldest pal, Sara. So last night when a bachelor party came into the bar I was in and layed Fishy for 3 dollars I wasn't shy about asking him to lay me. He gave me the lay and I proceeded to become a warrior princess whose tag line was "I'm Pretty" in a very girly voice. And damnit, I was pretty :) I had the most beautiful pink and white flowery THING in my hair. Today I tried to recreate my prettiness with a "work boot shoe string" that was actually bought for the sole purpose of tying some random thing to some friends car and not claiming responsibility... my step mum's idea.
I should do part 2. Can I? I don't know. Part 2 of summing up; besides reinforcing my desire to hang with people on the west coast... Jules and Jay and Brendan and Joel; and reinforcing how fascinating I find these people... is about my overall umm, learning, impressions, feelings. I don't know.
Well. At some point (long island) I thought I wanted to take the LSAT and go to law school. When I first went to undergrad I thought I was going to be a lawyer. So it has always inspired me. This time of thinking on it was driven by the age old "I could travel more places with it". I still want to change the world. Who doesn't? Go drink in small town bars and you will find that every jo wants what I want :) I do love the idea. Yes. But. I remember PC in Chuuk and the western lawyers there. Even the divers there. And the mormons. All of them were driven by their jobs. None of them knew what I did. None of them had a host papa who threatened my suitors with fishing spear. None of them had a host bro of 14 who by actions alone drug me out to the sea where the surf hit the reef and put up a net to block the jelly fish so we could fish. I could go on and on. But I won't. The point is that yes, it appeals to me. But no. I kindof knew this before the US tour... but now it is ingrained... I am spoiled. PC and Micronesia spoiled me and I will always be looking for that experience again. I will. It sucks :) Yeah. But I also know I am lucky to have had it. I remember my first day in Egypt and this Brit who I came to be good friends with saying "wow, its so different from the western world" as we were riding in a cab to class and passing a McDonald's. At the time I was like "hello? whatever." But then I went to Korea. At the time, I didn't appreciate Egypt because it wasn't as "different" as my islands. Now. I do. Egypt had its Islamic culture going for it. That was a trip for me. A learning experience. Despite its western theme; it was Muslim and it was different. Korea felt like home only with a different language and a bit of "otherness" to it. Yeah. Micronesia spoiled me big. So I think I will got back to Korea and teach and make the ever needed dollar and do what I am doing now but in other places. Since I developed that thought I have found myself missing Korean things. Strange. But mostly, I have friends there, I know the ropes, there is money to be made and a service to be provided. I have been home for almost 5 months on what I made there. I could go to really remote hard to get to places for longer if I worked there another year.
Thus part 2. Everywhere I go the people say "what now?" or "what are you" or "who are you" or "what is your job" or "degree". In part 1 I talked about my issues with pressure. In part 2 I tell you that I decided. Lol. I hate the uncomfortable feeling when someone asks me what I do. I HATE it. But somewhere along the way I realized what I do... I travel. I am a traveler. Many of us are. When I made the realization I told my oldest pal, the one with a house, and (soon) child(ren), and a business.. and ya know? She said "me too". I love it. And I love some other things. I love the wind and I love the ocean; but not just the ocean. I love natural bodies of water. I always have; even before PC. Rivers, lakes, ponds even. But especially the ocean. People in Micronesia get lost at sea or fall overboard and drown as often as we have car wrecks that kill here in my home area. Pollap there were no cars, lol. and on Weno cars never went over like 20 cuz the roads sucked. Where did this come from and where is it going? I love wind and water and otherness. I love the idiosyncrisities (sp?) of other places in the world. Even Korea, which I didn't like that much. I find myself telling about it often. Not as often as Pollap; yet more than I thought I ever would. I love the non norm. And where better to get it than other countries? I do also love coming home to discover that we, as a nation, are so enmeshed with Brittany Spears' personal life. I love it and I hate it. I love it because I feel like "oh yeah, I can rely on America" and I hate it because I feel like "hello, America is like, the most powerful and free country in the world... and this is our news?" Blah. I am babbling. I am a traveler. The world intrigues me. Always and especially Africa and I will get there one day although technically I was there. Egypt. Africa or Middle East? I was in Africa. But I dream of more. Lol. Always. But a plug for home. I love home. Northwest Wisconsin. Recently i had a good inquiry about "home". And I know... even if my parents both moved away from here... I would come back every few years anyway. I might not know anyone (but probably I would) but I would still come and chill and take in the beauty and hang with the folks hanging here...
That's it.

2 Comments:

At 10:49 PM, Blogger Valerie Perez said...

Too many times in life, we are defined by others by what you do. "Oh, so you're an accountant..., a teacher..., a lawyer..." Remember, whatever you do for a living you don't have to be defined by that. "I work as a sales rep, but I am a xena warrior -- and a darn pretty one at that!"

Go find the place where you stand out; you'll discover you shine anywhere.

Make the trip to Korea and travel.

I am proud of you.
Valerie

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger Jackson said...

i really like hot pockets. they are tasty

 

Post a Comment

<< Home