The World Is My Playground

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas Birthdays

As a child I felt ripped off at having my birthday right after Christmas. Always the "Christmas-Birthday" gifts. And freezing, sopping wet, red-nosed sliding parties. Ugh. As we grow older into adulthood I notice people, including myself, tend to do this 'year in review' type thing at their birthday time. Kind of like New Year's Resolutions. So then, as an adult, I feel lucky to have a Christmas Birthday, or actually a New Year's Birthday as I am actually closer to that than to Christmas; because what that means is I only have to do this 'year in review' crap once a year! Yay! Lucky me :)
And so, I quickly approach yet another year marker. 3 is my lucky number and as such, 33 was supposed to be a doubly lucky year. This was my mantra throughout the first part of the year; by the second half of the year that mantra had fallen by the wayside, discarded, used up, bullshit really... or so I thought. But now, as I sit year recollecting, it really has been quite the year. I mean really, I haven't even worked over half of it... how can that be bad? Of course, I have also found myself living like a poor college student at the age of 33 as a result of that.. but hey, we choose our own course, right? Is money anything? To start off my 33rd year I was able to take part in a mometuous moment for Sara's company, ASAP. A company which I have a strong affiliation too, not only because its hers but also because I spent 4 years of my blood, sweat, and tears there and many people I love have put even more years into it. I was able to help the company move into, and organize itself in a brand new, amazing building.. and it was so very enjoyable. Then I took 3 MONTHS and just drove around the US. Come on, lucky? I visited old friends, new friends, family and saw parts of the country I had never seen before. I also reunited with a lost friend, Joel.. which led me to my current humble abode here in Arizona. I was able to waitress at Johnny Rockets, where we danced every hour on the hour (what fun is that?), and I took a course and got my real estate license. A little formal education is always a good thing, yes? Ok, so the job hasn't been all I had hoped for, and my financial situation isn't where I'd like it to be... but wow, that means I have resolutions I can make! Am I every lucky!
I've made some mistakes here in AZ, some things I wish I'd done differently.. but I've learned a lot about myself. I've made some new friends, rediscovered my spirituality, and fallen in love on a daily basis with the beauty and kindness of this place and its people. I'm excited to be alive, and I'm excited to live and feel the days to come. I'm excited to revel in life with those I love. I'm excited to rid myself of past self-destructive behaviors and embrace life with less fear than I have had. And I'm excited to have almost completed my 'doubly lucky' year, so I can move on to the next with a new mantra something along the lines of 'it just keeps getting better baby!'
Maybe it would be good to do this review thing a couple times a year... but ya'all know that in truth I do it all the damn time :) So I'm glad to have just one "official" time to do it. Christmas Birthdays... aren't they wonderful?

2 Comments:

At 1:12 AM, Blogger Valerie Perez said...

Happy Birthday, Merry Christmas and welcome in a great New Year. It has been a while since we last heard from you. Glad to hear Arizona is treating you well.

I finally took the plunge and bought a condo in Hawaii. Dreams do come true. It maybe 2009 before I offically move there as I have some commitments - climb the high peaks of New York this summer and travel with Dad to Europe this spring.

Work? Not really. This year's W2 will record $692.00. I hope to make a bit more next year doing something or other.

I'm still writing, but confess the holidays have stifled that a bit. My 2008 goal is to get the first draft of the novel completed. No excuses...

 
At 5:33 AM, Blogger linda said...

Happiest of birthdays to you! Whether or not combined with other reflections, may this day launch you upon a fabulous year.

woo to the hoo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home