The World Is My Playground

Monday, May 28, 2007

From Arizona to the World

Sunday, May 27, 2007
Cornville, AZ Current mood: satisfied Category: Parties and Nightlife

The long term plan is to go back to Korea. In the interim I took another road trip and ended up in Arizona. Well, you know, it wasn't that random. I visited my absolute oldest friend I am still in touch with here in Sedona on my US tour and he and his housemates invited me back. And I came back. Sedona area is different first of all because of its transient and tourist lifestyle. In addition, this house is different because all the people (there are 6 of us now) are on these random schedules and friends are coming and going all the time and its almost like there is always a party. It's almost like I would have imagined college life in a dorm and then in an apartment with other college friends. Almost. Difference being, one of the couples who lives here owns the house, we are all older than college age, hearts have already been broken, dreams dashed discarded and renewed... I guess the difference, of course, is age.
I got a job waitressing at a Johnny Rockets. I start tomorrow. It will be fine. I am also going to apply for an in home job working with people who are older and in need of help with house cleaning and the like. There are a lot of postings for positions like this (Arizona, second only to Florida for retirees; no surprise eh?) and after hanging out with Joel while he tries to sell timeshares and meeting some of the folks who have migrated here I am excited to do this job. I think I will meet interesting folks from all over the country. Wise folks. I hope to join their ranks one fine day. :)
So here I am. Less than a week. We went to an Indigo Girls concert in Flagstaff my first night here. Joel and I went off roading in his new jeep. And I have driven around getting a feel for the small towns around here. It's been fascinating already. I think of home as rather, backwoods or off the beaten path. But wow to off road roads around here. Amazing. Desolate. We got a flat. It was so wrong because the jeep kept falling off the jack and everytime we landed closer to the edge of the cliff. By the time we got it all done it was pitch dark. It was Jody's dream I tell ya. He would have loved that scene, which made me appreciate it more.
I have only been here a short time, yet I find myself trying to put up defenses against the pull of this place. I asked Joel before I came "will I get trapped there?" and of course he was like "you can leave whenever you want". I am sure I can. It is a bit disconcerting how island like it feels though. Time just passes and I find I am rather content. But NO, I tell myself. I have things to do, people to see, and places to be. right?
Currently listening : B-Sides By Damien Rice Release date: By 03 August, 2004

1 Comments:

At 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Missy
About time you blogged again, I have been waiting for a month!

Good luck in Arizona or wherever you are by now!

Betty

 

Post a Comment

<< Home