The World Is My Playground

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Barbaric Yawps

Current mood: amused Category: Life
Some of you may recall a blog post I posted at melissadrinkman.blogspot.com back when I first arrived in Korea. It was about the woman at the lake who screamed at it like 3 times and then got up and walked away... remember her? I was jealous of her and her feeling free enough to just do it...
Years ago, when I was in college I used to have this daydream all the time riding in the car with my then boyfriend. I would ride around with him in the countryside of my home and see these vast fields of green; wide open for the taking; practically pleading for company. I would daydream that I was alone or maybe I daydreamed I said "stop the car". In any case I would run my heart out into the very center of these vast fields screaming all the way. Not screaming so much as sounding my barbaric yawp (watch Dead Poet's Society if you don't know what this is). In fact, it wasn't even a day dream but more of an urge; almost a need. When I saw the woman in Korea I was reminded of those days and how I never followed up on my urge; this was that which made me jealous.
Well, I am now living in a city across from a soccer (football) field and I was sitting outside the other morning having this same old urge from my past (what the hell that is all about will have to be analyzed in another blog sometime). I grabbed my house mate and off we went, bugger the people on the field and the people walking by and the people outside their homes. We went to the center of that field and sat down and took turns sounding our barbaric yawps. Then as we were getting up to leave we did one big long one on our feet for good measure. And I must say that while it did hurt my throat; it was also refreshing and releasing and I think just pretty pure - for both of us. As we sauntered back home discussing daily life we vowed to make it a habit. I think we will; maybe we can start a health trend - Yawping. I bet we'd make millions :)
Currently listening : Little Plastic Castle By Ani Difranco Release date: 17 February, 1998

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home