The World Is My Playground

Thursday, February 28, 2008

lolcats!

The move to Phoenix complete. Been spending most of my time applying and interviewing for jobs and grad school, and the rest of my time procrastinating doing either. Nah, I've also been exploring the city and its dark and quirky corners, as well as the brightly lit run of the mill corners... but alas, I get away from myself... I've been contemplating the cats.
See, we have two cats, Joel and I, (and for those who'd ask as so many have.. no, we did not move down here together as lovers ;) more precisely, we have Joel's cat Slider, and my cat Phaser. As often is the case, it wasn't always so. The cat's were once all Dave and Veronika's cats... or maybe they were Dave, Veronika, Kristin, Brian and Joel's cats, I'm not sure. What I do know, is that, in the world of cats I might be considered a "stray". A stray human wandered in off the streets, out of the wilds. Back when I was newly stray (I hear my mom talking about her strays and how their names always start off as "cat that doesn't come in the house" until they wiggle their ways into hearts and get let in; makes me wonder if one of the master cats didn't name me "human that doesn't get to stroke our silken shine") there were 11 or so cats in the home I moved into. Like my brother Jody and "cat that doesn't come into the house" Phaser immediately let me stroke her silken shine... like Jo, sneaking in the forbidden strays. So yes, I have felt a connection to Phaser from the beginning and have, by the fate of the Gods, ended up with her as "my cat".
These two have such unique and individual personalities and I struggle to understand them and what drives them. Are they driven by fear? Or desire? What are their actions based on? I also like to contemplate the ways in which I differ and am similar to each. Wonder if my connection to Phaser has more to do with our similarities or our differences. Slider likes to lounge and is a big ol' cat compared to Phaser. She is hungry for attention and cuddles. She likes all kinds of stimulation including having her belly rubbed. She likes to follow us humans around but doesn't stray, even when she follows outside. Oh she looks and appears to be considering jumping up on the wall to see what is on the other side, but then instead gives in to the comfort of the human lap beneath her and begins a song and lays her head down to be spoiled. Her relationship with Phaser is shaky at best. But the big lazy beast seems to have the upper hand and often corners Phaser in the 'litter room' or in my closet or she guards the food. When they are together Slider can be heard giving out a distressed 'meuw' until lavished with some attention or until she slaps a paw down in demanding recourse and Phaser goes running. Sometimes I can identify with Slider and her desire for all attention and her enjoyment of lazy relaxation at the hands of others. I still do not know Slider and all her ways, she is newest to my family, but I am learning.
Phaser, on the other hand, I have had lots of time with. First when I moved down here and into the top bunk in Joel's room, which I believe had been primarily her bunk up until then. Not willing to give it up she grudgingly let me share it with her and would also, on occassion, allow me to pet and scratch her. Then later she moved into my room at the condo in Sedona. She was only in that room due to spats with the other two cats then living with us. The first night she literally had the shit... scared? out of her in the bathroom. Not wanting a repeat performance she made my room her recluse. Before moving down here Joel and Slider stayed at the condo for a bit and the two were witnessed sleeping together... so upon moving here, we have had community food and litter for them. Now, they say... the 'others', those not stray.. that Phaser has never gotten along with any of the other cats. There seems to be debate about why. Is it the others dislike her for some unknown reason? Or does she bring it on herself with her reclusive ways? In any case... we moved and the apt was an open wonderland for both cats... and where can we find Phaser? In my room. Phaser sleeps on the end of the bed, and sometimes in the night, and most mornings will come and find my hands so she can rub her face against them in the way she wants to be rubbed. She does enjoy having her back rubbed where it meets her tail though and will stay still for this. She chases my rainbow thrower while Slider lazily and evilly watches her play. She is lean and remote. She spends much time in my closet or under my bed and mostly only comes out to eat when she has human's protection from Slider. She seems to understand that when i am around she can join me and Slider on the bed, but if I walk into my room and Slider is on my bed Phaser will most likely be in one of her hiding places...driven there by Slider. She doesn't come off as real shy, or mean, or really even scared. She just is. Surprisingly she responds to my 'click click' of tongue to teeth, so when she follows me outside on rare occassions and jumps up on the wall I can easily call her back... so far. I have no screen in my window and when it is open and there are sounds she is alert and looking. One day I fear she will find her way out... but I also have faith she will find her way back. Of course, I identify with her, and seem to know her much more intimately than I do Slider. She always finds her safe haven.. she does venture out, but cautiously. She fears others. And she wants what she wants when she wants it :) I'm so curious to know if she brings on these attacks from other kitties or if they just intrinisically do not like her. Does her weakness draw the bully out of them? Or is she an untouchable bitch? Lol... cats.

1 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, Blogger jnap said...

Melissa,

Linda was right. I did enjoy the cat post, especially the way the Phaser adopted you. I often wonder what posseses my cats to do what they do: I have posted some cat stories in my blog...And, I have some of the same questions you have.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home